Wednesday, November 3, 2010 - 14:00 - 15:00
Point of Contact:
Technical support and assistance if needed from: Gerhard Wickler (avatar: Gerhard Tomorrow).
In preparation for this meeting you should get set up. Chances are, you will not be able to install the software 15 minutes before the meeting and participate without problems. Here is things you need to be able to do:
- teleport to the meeting room in SL
- move your avatar around (incl. sitting down)
- communicate with others using voice/text chat (use a headset to avoid echo from open mics)
- move the "camera position" independent of the avatar
- see slides (and video) on the screen in the meeting room
For more help see http://openvce.net/slchecks
The discussion was largely about EU FP7 options.
- We agreed that the Security call deadline is too close, and will not try to put together a submission.
- The ICT call with its mid-January deadline is more realistic, but the Cognitive Science and Robotics theme might not be very suitable. In fact none of the call topics is an obvious fit.
- A COST action is still desirable and should try that one. Next collection date is March 2010, and it takes about 3 pages of technical poroposal in the first instance. So it's not urgent. Also, this does not fund research.
- FET Open could be our best option. Submission is anytime, but next round of proposals will be evaluated end of November (tight!) or May 2011. It takes about 6 pages for the first stage, which we might be able to put together quickly.
The discussion then moved on to next steps (actions):
- We need to get to know each others areas of expertise and research interests better. Gerhard and Stephen will set up on OpenVCE on which everybody should add some information about their area of expertise and research interests.
- We will meet again in SL. Gerhard will create another doodle poll for next week.
- At the next meeting we (each) will give short (5-10 minutes) presentations about our area of expertise / research interests.
- This bottom up approach could be complemented with a top down approach where we try to come up with a unifying theme (a project idea) into which we could fit what we do: AI for Crisis Response!
Another topic that was briefly discussed was the size of this group. A few more people would not hurt, but it is probably too early for open invitation on mailing lists. But if anybody knows of individuals who might be interested, we should invite them to come along.
SL seems to work well so far.