IAEM Discussion Group:
THE 1ST VIRTUAL SCHOOL EMERGENCY EXERCISE
LOCATION: YORK UNIVERSITY DISASTER AND EMERGENCY VIRTUAL LAB IN SECOND LIFE
DATE: ONE DAY IN THE WEEK OF 26TH OCTOBER 2009
ORGANIZED BY: YORK UNIVERSITY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
You are invited to participate in the “First Virtual School Emergency Exercise” and learn and experience how online virtual technologies such as Second Life could be used by school and campus officials and emergency managers for simulating and exercising various school emergency scenarios in a flexible, low cost, multi-agency, interactive virtual environment.
Interested individuals will participate in an online virtual exercise (using their home or office computer) by playing a role in a two hour school shooting emergency exercise using York University's Virtual Disaster and Emergency Management Lab in Second Life sometimes in the last week of October 2009.
Interested individuals are expected to have the following in order to effectively participate in this amazing virtual school emergency exercise:
1. Interested individuals register for the virtual emergency management exercise in Second Life. / Registration dead line is October 15, 2009.
2. Registered individuals will be provided with a short guide on how to set up their virtual presence in Second Life.
3. Registered individuals will attend one of the orientation sessions in Second Life Virtual Environment to become familiar with the environment.
4. Participants will receive the emergency exercise package.
5. Participants will conduct the exercise in a day and time, in the week of October 26th 2009, mutually agreed upon by the participants.
HOW TO REGISTER:
Registration fee: Registration is free but space is limited to only to 20 participants and 20 observers.
To learn more about Second life please visit: www.secondlife.com
For examples of how Second Life is used in emergency management exercises please visit:
Thank you very much.
Ali Asgary, PhD
Emergency Management Program
School of Administrative Studies
Atkinson Faculty of Liberal and Professional Studies
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, Ontario, M3J 1P3, Canada
Tel. 416 736 2100 ext. 22879
Fax. 416 736 5963